STAND NUMBER: 508
HM Land Registry
HM Land Registry is transforming Local Land Charges (LLC) searches by consolidating local authority registers into a single centralised digital service. This online service eliminates local variations in price, speed and format for LLC service users and provides a standardised service across England.
This is a historic step forward in the Government`s ambition to make the homebuying process simpler, faster and cheaper.
Local land charges searches are normally required in the property-buying process. Most local land charges are restrictions or prohibitions on the use of the property. Common obligations protected as local land charges include:
• planning permissions
• listed buildings
• conservation areas
• tree preservation orders
• improvement and renovation grants
• smoke control zone conditions
• light obstruction notice conditions
Anyone can easily access instant online search results via GOV.UK. Business customers can access the service via the portal or Business Gateway. Alternatively, you can use a search provider who will access our LLC service for you.
Using the new LLC service, you will have the option of downloading a personal search for free or an official search for £15.
The benefits of the Local Land Charges official search are:
• guaranteed search results that provide the highest level of due diligence
• the full spatial extent of every charge appears on the search result
• standard £15 fee for each search, providing a reduction to the current national average price
• consistent quality of data which provides clear and accurate search results
• instant online search results with 24/7 access to the data, reducing delays in receiving searches
• unlimited repeat searches for six months to check for any new charges before completing a transaction
• search history dashboard giving you access to your previous searches at any time
The new Local Land Charges service is one of the ways in which HM Land Registry is leading the digital transformation of large datasets and driving innovation by introducing digital services to the homebuying process.
Our online digital mortgage service allows homeowners who are remortgaging to sign their mortgage deed quickly and securely. Our research and development project, Digital Street, enables us to explore how we can use technology to make processes such as buying and selling property simpler, faster and cheaper.
HM Land Registry registers the ownership of land and property in England and Wales. We safeguard land and property ownership worth in excess of £7 trillion, including around £1 trillion of mortgages. The Land Register contains more than 25 million titles showing evidence of ownership for more than 86% of the land mass of England and Wales.
0300 006 4237